Sunday, October 2, 2011

Byron workshop, half DIY your own camera!

Time's up, thanks for the mails who are interested in the course. To those who receive confirmed mail for workshop, please send US$900 to my Paypal account sali.honba@msa.hinet.net, and prepare your camera + lenses, we should start at the end of this month.
Daniel
Tim wrote to me and he makes the point, that I set the deadline of application at 10/16, how come I reject others before the date?
So I will leave 2 more participants available for who send mails to me before 10/16, candidates will be considered after the date arrived, so no hurry, take your time, just send your mail before 10/16.
thank you very much.
6 participants, hope I can handle that well.....
***
Amazingly, 6 appliers for workshop already, so please do not send your mail to me now, workshop takes four participants only. thank you very much. Daniel
***


I've been thinking about this recently, since one of my craftsman got stroke months ago, I can't stop wondering, what if I GOT stroke, will my unique Polaroid 4x5 conversion discontinued?
Pass my thought to friends, and thinking of letting more people could own Byron camera, I would held an experimental workshop, to help participant build one.
But the procedure could be very difficult if all by instructions only, there are some steps which needs special tooling, and some steps need CNC lathe machine, not everyone could find a helping hand around.
So I will ask participants follow my instruction, in some steps, to send their parts to me, I will help them to finish those steps, and then let them go on to next step.
I envision there will be about two steps for sending back parts, by sending back their parts, I will enclose all the parts needed for building Byron, including those tailored parts that I designed, exclusive for Byron.
The most complicated parts now I think most people will encounter, will be at the step building bellows, not yet decide whether I will make one for each other, or let them try, so there will be sort of experiments in it, participant not only need to be skillful on DIY, prepare all kinds of hand tools, and need a lot of patience, willing to help me to perfect the instruction, so there will be one complete instruction left when the camera is build, workshop at the end.
Workshop will take about 3 months for the course. It should start at the end of this month. Instruction will be released one by one, as a step for every two weeks,
Cost will be US$900, including all parts and two shipping postage during the course, but I am asking if anyone is interested in this way of DIY, let me know, mail me, all I need is about 4 participants, besides hand tools, you have to prepare your own Polaroid 110B plus lenses you choose, (or 110A + 900) and the conversion type (limited in Type A or B), drop me a mail, we could communicate privately.
If you are interested in this way, please let me know before 10/16. You are not really in the workshop by sending mail, just let me know if there are people who are interested.

thank you very much.
Daniel
salihonba@gmail.com

ps. DIY instructions will not be published in public, only participants are allowed to login and read it.
You can choose one Prime lens for matching cam curve, that is, your range-coupled lens. I will grind the cam curve for you, but I need you send the lens to me. other lenses you choose for Byron will be un-coupled range finding.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel,
I am interested in your workshop, but am afraid not so skillful as you are, what if I can not follow your instructions and fail the conversion?
please read my mail for detail
thanks, Marvin
your camera is amazing!!

Unknown said...

Yes, that is the risk you have to bear, the worst situation is you fail the conversion.

xxx said...

is there a set schedule for this workshop or is it a back and forth at each others leisure..? work schedules for me often demand a lot and can be random is why i ask

Unknown said...

It is set at the end of this month, not back and forth for each one, so if all on schedule, it should be finished at the end of next Jan.

Anonymous said...

Daniel what if I failed the conversion during the course, will you take over? How to evaluate my DIY skill good enough or not?

Unknown said...

yes I will take it over if there is any problem during the steps. I think if you ever tried to make something by your own, is the basic requirement for the workshop.

Suwen Chee said...

After reading this, I went to the 关帝庙 and got you a 灵签, and prayed that you will forever, and in prosperity... haha... So stroke is out...

Frankly, the art of conversion is not an overnight thing. If one intends to do it for the passion, I will say go ahead with all my support. But prepare to have one or two spare machines for failures. If your intention is for a cheaper conversion, you will be better off buying one from Daniel. It is very likely that you get a lot of things wrong in your first attempt. The situation may be better with guidance from experienced master like Daniel. But still. So never for the cheaper costs.

Unknown said...

next time I buy you Rojak for praying a oracle for my hearth when I visit KL again, oh and a cup of kopi bing.
I miss roti tissue.

Nathan said...

This is so cool! You are my inspiration for these machines!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the funds for the workshop at the moment, but I am curious, if the event is a success, do you see yourself doing future workshops? If so, I am very interested! Nathan
nate@nathanappel.com

Unknown said...

Just as Suwen warmed me, there are steps required for skillful hands, and even good hands will still cause fails for first time, he told me that months ago when I asked his opinion about this workshop, I agreed with him, for I myself have the experiences exactly as he reminded.
So this workshop is an experimental one, and I am ready to bear the outcome, taking over each participant's unfinished conversion, to bring it back to live.
If that happen (Suwen assured me it will happen), then this workshop is the only one, will not be hold anymore.
But what in my mind, is this workshop could force me to leave a complete instruction on Byron conversion, once I can not provide service anymore, if that happen.