Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nearest distance Xenotar 150 can get

Just measured, almost stretch the temporary bellows in totally flat, I managed to pull the lens to rail's limit, the nearest distance that Xenotar 2.8/150mm focus is about 107cm, from focal plan to subject, that is about 3.5 feet.
Jeff, see that?
Consider the thickness that enforced plate is 8mm, what if I add it to 10mm? Possibly it get close to 100cm?
Anyway, a bright sunny day again! I will wait my younger son off from school and then make an instant shoot, first model for Xenotar-Byron!!
So keep watching!!
Just curious to ask, is there any other crazy lens that uses #3 shutter, focal length under 150mm? 
Young model is hard to deal with, especially if he is you son! Bribe with 3 chocolate bars to make him cooperated.
Naughty boy!
 
Byron + Xenotar 2.8/150, f/2.8 1/200sec, FP-100C 4x5

 Same image as above, partial, focus at the eyes.
 Byron + Xenotar 2.8/150, f/2.8 1/200sec, FP-100C 4x5
Same image as above, partial, focus at the eyes.
All focus as close as possible (3.5ft), I found that DOF is really shallow, wasted about 4 instant films to get these two rather satisfied results. 
150mm, f2.8, focus at 3.5ft, DOF got only 0.08 ft (2.4cm!), means when I focus at the eyes, ears are already out of focus!
and I had not made the lens coupled with range finder yet, I made photos this afternoon by gg panel, ruler, and ordered my kid to hold still, not even breath!
 

8 comments:

Jack Hui said...

Can't wait to see the result ....

jeff liao said...

Daniel,

you are the man!!

Jeff

jeff liao said...

my Xenotar is using #2 shutter....
#3 is way to big..


There is Zeiss Planar 135mm f3.5 *T, Xenotar 135mm f3.5 these two are in #1 shutter i believe.

Unknown said...

Through this project, I think that #0 shutter looks like a peanut!

Jack Hui said...

What about .... those brass len?? Let me check check those brass len that can attach to #3 shutter ...

This project is getting interested!

Unknown said...

#2 shutter is rare to see, any information for its spec?

jeff liao said...

http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/index.htm


any chance you couple focusing with rangefinder?

:)

Unknown said...

Of course RF must be coupled with lens, so original 127mm lens cam need to be grind to fit 150mm, otherwise it would be meaningless to mount this big eye!